YouTube Swordplay Gems

Talk about other games and anything off-topic
higgins
Heresiarh

Re: YouTube Swordplay Gems

Postby higgins » 28 Apr 2016, 17:36

EinBein wrote:Doesn't that hurt a whole lot? :shock:

Halberds usually do, yes. That's kind of their point. :D

And it's also the reason you need to tackle the halberdier and tie him up at all costs. You even see an attempt 0:33 and forwards, but the teammates help him out. Also on 0:51, where he helps out himself. :twisted:

At 0:44, you see him successfully tied up. He can't deploy the halberd.
"You can never have too many knives."
- Logen Ninefingers, The Blade Itself
EinBein
Disciple

Postby EinBein » 22 Dec 2016, 08:28

Wow, that's passionate... :)
Agamemnon
Grand Master

Postby Agamemnon » 18 Feb 2017, 14:18

I saw that last night. I mostly agree with him. The bit that I have to keep pointing out in these things is that people are wearing armor for the protection of the fighters. You wouldn't ever want to be fighting with historically authentic weapons designed to kill people in armor. It'd be fun to watch, in a sadistic kind of way, but your sport would not last very long.
Sword and Scoundrel: On Role-Playing and Fantasy Obscura

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: "Now it’s complete because it’s ended here."
Collected Sayings of Muad’Dib, the Princess Irulan
higgins
Heresiarh

Postby higgins » 18 Feb 2017, 14:42

Agamemnon wrote:You wouldn't ever want to be fighting with historically authentic weapons designed to kill people in armor. It'd be fun to watch, in a sadistic kind of way, but your sport would not last very long.

Actually, Ian LaSpina and his crew are doing just that in small, invitation-only events. They have half-swording to the gaps and everything. I've seen their rules and regulations, which were pretty raw from a marshal's perspective (as in, providing a leg to stand on when enforcing the equipment standards), but I have to admit it intrigued me a great deal. Granted, their pollax head/queue needs to be rubber, or their nice armors wouldn't stay so nice for long, but still.

My current armor wouldn't be nearly protective against the thrusts to participate, even if I could afford the travel expenses, but maybe someday... :?
Agamemnon
Grand Master

Postby Agamemnon » 18 Feb 2017, 14:47

higgins wrote:
Agamemnon wrote:You wouldn't ever want to be fighting with historically authentic weapons designed to kill people in armor. It'd be fun to watch, in a sadistic kind of way, but your sport would not last very long.

Actually, Ian LaSpina and his crew are doing just that in small, invitation-only events. They have half-swording to the gaps and everything. I've seen their rules and regulations, which were pretty raw from a marshal's perspective (as in, providing a leg to stand on when enforcing the equipment standards), but I have to admit it intrigued me a great deal. Granted, their pollax head/queue needs to be rubber, or their nice armors wouldn't stay so nice for long, but still.

My current armor wouldn't be nearly protective against the thrusts to participate, even if I could afford the travel expenses, but maybe someday... :?

When Grand Heresy somehow overtakes the industry and we get a seven-digit kickstarter put together, we'll sponsor you to go fly somewhere and have your helmet dented in -- right after we take out a company life insurance policy on you.

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: "Now it’s complete because it’s ended here."
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition

Postby thirtythr33 » 18 Feb 2017, 14:55

Agamemnon wrote:When Grand Heresy somehow overtakes the industry and we get a seven-digit kickstarter put together, we'll sponsor you to go fly somewhere and have your helmet dented in -- right after we take out a company life insurance policy on you.

This should definitely be one of the stretch goals.
"O happy dagger!
This is thy sheath; there rust, and let me die."

- Juliet Capulet
higgins
Heresiarh

Postby higgins » 18 Feb 2017, 15:03

thirtythr33 wrote:This should definitely be one of the stretch goals.

Getting a 14th century kit nearly identical to Ian's (with a back-plate and mitten gauntlets) and seeing what kind of abuse it can take has been a long-time fantasy of mine. :twisted:
higgins
Heresiarh

Postby higgins » 05 Mar 2017, 18:51

Matt Easton gets it! :) Combat to the death wasn't the only martial activity that the knights took part in and I'm really glad to see a prominent HEMA person actually acknowledging that in the full contact sports context.

youtu.be/BWMYO94RYFg
Agamemnon
Grand Master

Postby Agamemnon » 24 Mar 2017, 23:00

Not strictly swordplay per se, and yet Mr. Beige manages to sell our game for us:

youtu.be/Txb6rUNhXzU

Return to “General Banter”