We're more secure now!

Click here for the latest news
User avatar
higgins
Heresiarch
Posts: 1186
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 08:00

We're more secure now!

Post by higgins » 11 Apr 2017, 05:55

Good news! :)

Our forums now use the SSL certificate. This means that the address bar in your browser should be somewhat greener now. It also means that the traffic you send to our forums (such as your password) is now encrypted and cannot be intercepted by third parties in a plaintext mode, as is the case with non-SSL sites, aka most of the internet.

However, the transition from HTTP to HTTPS means that a bunch of links (especially images) have probably been broken.

So, if anyone feels that they have the inclination of volunteering to fix some of that, as well as approve the new users that crop up, now's a good time to apply for a moderator spot (before all those millions of users start pouring in after we kickstart) ;)

To apply, send an email to grandheresy ät gmail dõt com

The subject of the letter should be: Moderator application: [insert your forum name]

In the letter, please state your full real name, the country of residence, as well as a couple of sentences about yourself. This is just so that we'd know who we're dealing with outside of our forum communications. Also, if you have any particular preference of what section of the forums you'd like to moderate (or not moderate), please state that, too. Division of labor sounds like a good idea to make sure nobody gets overwhelmed with requests as we grow.
"You can never have too many knives."
- Logen Ninefingers, The Blade Itself
User avatar
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition
Posts: 1241
Joined: 12 Aug 2015, 03:23

Re: We're more secure now!

Post by thirtythr33 » 11 Apr 2017, 08:11

After poking around the forums a bit, most of the images look okay. Youtube embedded videos on the other hand are all broken.
"O happy dagger!
This is thy sheath; there rust, and let me die."

- Juliet Capulet
User avatar
Benedict
Standard Bearer
Posts: 1075
Joined: 23 May 2016, 09:52

Re: We're more secure now!

Post by Benedict » 11 Apr 2017, 08:30

All the youtube links I checked so far work, its only the embedded video player that got broken. Will be checking more thoroughly tho. :)
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
― Touchstone
User avatar
higgins
Heresiarch
Posts: 1186
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 08:00

Re: We're more secure now!

Post by higgins » 11 Apr 2017, 14:49

The moderator call has been closed for now.

If you feel left out, feel free to submit an application anyway. That way we have some willing old-timers to draw upon should the need for more moderators arise.
"You can never have too many knives."
- Logen Ninefingers, The Blade Itself
User avatar
higgins
Heresiarch
Posts: 1186
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 08:00

Re: We're more secure now!

Post by higgins » 11 Apr 2017, 15:56

Fixed the embedded YouTube posts! :)

Since our site is now HTTPS, the YouTube links needed also to be HTTPS. Luckily my choice of making the users inputting the YouTube code alone (not the full address) made it easy to implement.

I also found the bug of YouTube video link overflowing and making the rest of the user's post clickable as well. This is also fixed.
"You can never have too many knives."
- Logen Ninefingers, The Blade Itself
User avatar
Korbel
Standard Bearer
Posts: 1176
Joined: 13 Apr 2015, 12:09
Location: Poland

Re: We're more secure now!

Post by Korbel » 12 Apr 2017, 05:39

Holy moly! Now the forums have become really confusing, green nicks everywhere! Hey guys, maybe you should use another color for authors (Agamemnon and Higgins), let's say yellow... Or give yelllow to Benedict and 33. Or something :D
I hope the future will bring way more users to the forums, so that this number of moderators will be justified. Now it's kinda overkill :D looking forward to this Kickstarter ;)
User avatar
higgins
Heresiarch
Posts: 1186
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 08:00

Re: We're more secure now!

Post by higgins » 12 Apr 2017, 10:25

Korbel wrote:kinda overkill :D
It's mostly that we can approve legit posts more rapidly, rather than the amount of actual work. I don't log in on school weekends at all and people have sometimes waited for a while for their posts to get approved. Plus I expected the SSL to break a lot more things than it actually did :D

But does anyone else find the new greenness confusing? I don't know if I can easily assign a new color without risking trouble during the next security update, but I can quite easily turn the new color off.
"You can never have too many knives."
- Logen Ninefingers, The Blade Itself
User avatar
Benedict
Standard Bearer
Posts: 1075
Joined: 23 May 2016, 09:52

Re: We're more secure now!

Post by Benedict » 12 Apr 2017, 10:56

Korbel wrote:Hey guys, maybe you should use another color for authors (Agamemnon and Higgins), let's say yellow... Or give yelllow to Benedict and 33. Or something
higgins wrote:I don't know if I can easily assign a new color without risking trouble during the next security update, but I can quite easily turn the new color off
While regulars know who's who on this board, its true that the same color might confuse newcomers.


Well, there is another color connected to another user group, namely Red for Administrators. If both higgins and Agamemnon used this would it be ok? After all you guys are the authors. :)

Just a heads up on this. The Administrator group uses #BF0000 which is kinda tough to read with the grey background. While the lighter #FF0000 is more readable and pleasing to the eye. At least for me.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
― Touchstone
User avatar
Korbel
Standard Bearer
Posts: 1176
Joined: 13 Apr 2015, 12:09
Location: Poland

Re: We're more secure now!

Post by Korbel » 12 Apr 2017, 11:23

Benedict wrote:Well, there is another color connected to another user group, namely Red for Administrators.
Yeah I've seen it, but somehow I assumed it's reserved for this strange creature called "heresiarh" (site founder). I don't know what is it, I believe you guys needed this account because of some technical stuff? You all (with Barbarossa) have other accounts.
Anyway, if RED is not reserved, please take it (you Higgins, Agamemnon and Barbarossa I believe) and leave GREEN for moderators, that would be pleasing for my... hmm, let's say pedantic soul, I just like when things are arranged nicely :D
Benedict wrote:the lighter #FF0000 is more readable and pleasing to the eye. At least for me.
True. But even if you leave this darker shade, it's not a huge problem. It's only used for you nickname. Avatars will help identify Agamemnon or higgins.
higgins wrote:If you feel left out, feel free to submit an application anyway. That way we have some willing old-timers to draw upon should the need for more moderators arise.
I hope it will arise indeed!
OK, I can send my application. Just tell me what do you want to know about us ("a couple of sentences about yourself"), I don't know, occupation or something? :)
User avatar
higgins
Heresiarch
Posts: 1186
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 08:00

Re: We're more secure now!

Post by higgins » 12 Apr 2017, 14:58

Benedict wrote:Well, there is another color connected to another user group, namely Red for Administrators.
I've limited admin privileges to a single account so that it would be harder for us to dick something up technically if any actual admin work requires a dedicated login from a different user.

But... I don't think making every contributing author a board admin is a sustainable route if we ever hope to grow.
Korbel wrote:Yeah I've seen it, but somehow I assumed it's reserved for this strange creature called "heresiarh" (site founder). I don't know what is it, I believe you guys needed this account because of some technical stuff?
Sort of embarrassing. Apparently the correct spelling of that word is "heresiarch" :lol:
Korbel wrote:OK, I can send my application. Just tell me what do you want to know about us ("a couple of sentences about yourself"), I don't know, occupation or something? :)
I stated what the information is for, so, the discretion of deciding what to share is left up to the applicant ;)
"You can never have too many knives."
- Logen Ninefingers, The Blade Itself
User avatar
Benedict
Standard Bearer
Posts: 1075
Joined: 23 May 2016, 09:52

Re: We're more secure now!

Post by Benedict » 13 Apr 2017, 10:59

higgins wrote:I've limited admin privileges to a single account so that it would be harder for us to dick something up technically if any actual admin work requires a dedicated login from a different user.
Yeah, that's prudent. My only real worry is that if the single admin account gets compromised in some way, there should be a contingency plan, meaning a second admin account. I'm not telling that you should promote someone else to admin status, simply that a 2nd account managed by the same person would add more security.

Ofc the scenario of "heresiarh" getting hacked or compromised is close to nil, still one cannot be too careful. :)
higgins wrote:
Korbel wrote:Yeah I've seen it, but somehow I assumed it's reserved for this strange creature called "heresiarh" (site founder). I don't know what is it, I believe you guys needed this account because of some technical stuff?
Sort of embarrassing. Apparently the correct spelling of that word is "heresiarch" :lol:
Truth be told, that slight misspelling adds a flair of authenticity to it, like he is a person from a parallel reality. ;)
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
― Touchstone
User avatar
thirtythr33
Editorial Inquisition
Posts: 1241
Joined: 12 Aug 2015, 03:23

Re: We're more secure now!

Post by thirtythr33 » 14 Apr 2017, 10:00

higgins wrote:But does anyone else find the new greenness confusing? I don't know if I can easily assign a new color without risking trouble during the next security update, but I can quite easily turn the new color off.
I'm not particularly attached the green color, and the board does kind of look more empty if every post is just moderators talking to each other. Also, having the actual developers of the game have a unique identifier is a good idea, lest you be mistaken for a mere mod.
higgins wrote:But... I don't think making every contributing author a board admin is a sustainable route if we ever hope to grow.
Your planning on taking on additional authors? This seems more like a "cross that bridge when we come to it" problem. Besides, I doubt most authors are going to care whether or not they get admin privileges on your forum.
"O happy dagger!
This is thy sheath; there rust, and let me die."

- Juliet Capulet
myanbar
Initiate
Posts: 94
Joined: 17 Jan 2016, 17:16

Re: We're more secure now!

Post by myanbar » 15 Apr 2017, 06:53

I thought it was fine before, with moderators in green and everyone else just plain.
User avatar
higgins
Heresiarch
Posts: 1186
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 08:00

Re: We're more secure now!

Post by higgins » 18 Apr 2017, 15:30

myanbar wrote:I thought it was fine before, with moderators in green and everyone else just plain.
That is precisely the point. Before the moderators and authors were the same people, but now we've recruited a couple more mods so that this is no longer the case.

Okay, I've changed the colors. Let's see how it sits. :twisted:
"You can never have too many knives."
- Logen Ninefingers, The Blade Itself
User avatar
hector
Dogged Bastard
Posts: 289
Joined: 01 Dec 2013, 03:26
Location: Aberystwyth University

Re: We're more secure now!

Post by hector » 19 Apr 2017, 09:54

Just as a thought, it might be worth using a different colour for the authors than red - the main reason being colour blindness. Yeah, I know, it's not something the vast majority of people will need to worry about, but still; better to use colours that are easier to distinguish. Also, I reckon this looks better on the current colour scheme than this ;).
Post Reply