What happens after a Double?

Anything related to personal combat and archaic weapons
User avatar
nemedeus
Scholar
Posts: 443
Joined: 20 Jan 2016, 12:53

What happens after a Double?

Postby nemedeus » 18 Sep 2016, 17:51

Title says it all.

Reference:
Page 105 wrote:If both characters throw red, things can get messy. Known as a “double without defense,”
both parties attack simultaneously, with neither party defending themselves unless
a defense is built into the maneuver they were using. Resolve both maneuvers simultaneously.
Impact rating (pgXX) does not reduce the opponent’s pool until after both hits have
been resolved. If you have the dice, you can attempt to Preempt the attack (pgXX).


In particular, who has initiative, or do the characters roll dice again?
"First Rule of War Club: Don't fight in the War Room" - Clint Eastwood, 1920
User avatar
Benedict
Standard Bearer
Posts: 1012
Joined: 23 May 2016, 09:52

Re: What happens after a Double?

Postby Benedict » 19 Sep 2016, 03:12

nemedeus wrote:Title says it all.

Reference:
Page 105 wrote:If both characters throw red, things can get messy. Known as a “double without defense,”
both parties attack simultaneously, with neither party defending themselves unless
a defense is built into the maneuver they were using. Resolve both maneuvers simultaneously.
Impact rating (pgXX) does not reduce the opponent’s pool until after both hits have
been resolved. If you have the dice, you can attempt to Preempt the attack (pgXX).


In particular, who has initiative, or do the characters roll dice again?

If no one tries to preempt both attacks happen simultaneously.

If someone tries to preempt the guy who rolled the lowest red is considered the original attacker.
Page 110 wrote:Preempting creates a contested roll, which determines which attack lands first. If dealing with a red/red, the
character who rolled lowest on the die throw is considered the original attacker for steps 1-3 and 6.


I guess when dealing with a red/red where no one tries to preempt, initiative goes to the winner, like preemptive resolution. Also the original attacker should be the one that rolled the lowest red. In case of a tie (MoS0 and equal Reds) I'd resolve it with a coin toss.
Page 110 wrote:If both parties survive, initiative goes to the party that rolled the most successes on their attack roll. Ties favor the original attacker.

However it is not explicitly stated RAW, so I might be wrong.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
― Touchstone
User avatar
higgins
Heresiarch
Posts: 1178
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 08:00

Re: What happens after a Double?

Postby higgins » 19 Sep 2016, 17:12

Benedict wrote:
Page 110 wrote:If both parties survive, initiative goes to the party that rolled the most successes on their attack roll. Ties favor the original attacker.

However it is not explicitly stated RAW, so I might be wrong.

The rule still applies. Initiative goes to the one that rolled more successes. If it's equal, check the lowest number on the red.
"You can never have too many knives."
- Logen Ninefingers, The Blade Itself
User avatar
nemedeus
Scholar
Posts: 443
Joined: 20 Jan 2016, 12:53

Re: What happens after a Double?

Postby nemedeus » 20 Sep 2016, 05:18

higgins wrote:[...]If it's equal, check the lowest number on the red.

and if the red dice are equal too?
"First Rule of War Club: Don't fight in the War Room" - Clint Eastwood, 1920
User avatar
Benedict
Standard Bearer
Posts: 1012
Joined: 23 May 2016, 09:52

Re: What happens after a Double?

Postby Benedict » 20 Sep 2016, 05:53

Its not clear in the Initiative section. However.

page 15 wrote:Ties
In any contest, there is an aggressor (the person acting or attempting to change the status quo) and a defender (the person resisting or attempting to uphold the status quo). Ties automatically favor the aggressor, but always does so as a mitigated success, resulting in a compromise (see previous). If both parties could be considered the aggressor, or it isn’t obvious and the GM can’t decide, then the player character is considered the aggressor by default. If both sides are player characters, flip a coin.


I guess that in a Red/Red situation that both roll equal initiative goes to the PC. If they're both PCs flip a coin.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
― Touchstone
User avatar
higgins
Heresiarch
Posts: 1178
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 08:00

Re: What happens after a Double?

Postby higgins » 20 Sep 2016, 11:43

That is correct.
"You can never have too many knives."
- Logen Ninefingers, The Blade Itself

Return to “Training Grounds”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest