Unrelated

Talk about other games and anything off-topic
Post Reply
User avatar
Korbel
Standard Bearer
Posts: 1171
Joined: 13 Apr 2015, 12:09
Location: Poland

Re: Unrelated

Post by Korbel » 04 Feb 2016, 16:22

Image

No wonder we wait for Beta for so long :D
User avatar
Agamemnon
Grand Master
Posts: 1098
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 13:59
Contact:

Re: Unrelated

Post by Agamemnon » 04 Feb 2016, 16:27

higgins wrote:
Agamemnon wrote:I've often told Higgins we should make our alpha docs public if only so people could read the madness that went on in our comments and notation.
Image
I thought that fell under "Clever use of game mechanics."
Sword and Scoundrel: On Role-Playing and Fantasy Obscura

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: "Now it’s complete because it’s ended here."
Collected Sayings of Muad’Dib, the Princess Irulan
User avatar
higgins
Heresiarch
Posts: 1186
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 08:00

Re: Unrelated

Post by higgins » 05 Feb 2016, 09:37

Agamemnon wrote:I thought that fell under "Clever use of game mechanics."
Clearly you're asking for a classic red pen example.

Image
"You can never have too many knives."
- Logen Ninefingers, The Blade Itself
User avatar
Agamemnon
Grand Master
Posts: 1098
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 13:59
Contact:

Re: Unrelated

Post by Agamemnon » 07 Feb 2016, 15:14

Image
Sword and Scoundrel: On Role-Playing and Fantasy Obscura

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: "Now it’s complete because it’s ended here."
Collected Sayings of Muad’Dib, the Princess Irulan
User avatar
EinBein
Sworn Brother
Posts: 514
Joined: 03 May 2014, 02:50

Re: Unrelated

Post by EinBein » 10 Feb 2016, 09:08

:D
User avatar
nemedeus
Scholar
Posts: 446
Joined: 20 Jan 2016, 12:53

Re: Unrelated

Post by nemedeus » 25 Feb 2016, 04:48

I don't want to hijack the forum for my own stuff any further, so instead of making a thread, i'm going to put this here. I've finally found a Fatigue/Endurance/Stamina/whatever mechanic with which i'm satisfied:
  • Fatigue is like a Level X wound - it increases the TN.
  • 1 point of Fatigue is taken when a Stamina/Endurance/etc. check is failed. The Obstacle for that check is 1 and increases by 1 every time you do this check.
  • Do such a check every 3 combat rounds, or after some time of doing a strenous activity etc. You take your encumbrance number* as penalty. Note that the check doesn't increase TN due to fatigue.
  • To reduce the Ob, you need to rest / stop fighting for a few rounds (i'd say, equally, 3 eounds).
*in my system, that's Total Carried Weight Units, divided by Vitality (Strength + Endurance + Size), rounded down -- pretty much the only division in that game i can think of right now. Vitality also serves as the Blood to be lost in battle, naturally. With Base stats being 1 to 5, it should be about the 5 to 10 range.

Weight examples: A sword weighs 1 to 1.5 units, Heavy Armor weighs 8 to 12. This is of course not quite as realistic as i would want to do it, but at least the results make decent sense.
"First Rule of War Club: Don't fight in the War Room" - Clint Eastwood, 1920
User avatar
Agamemnon
Grand Master
Posts: 1098
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 13:59
Contact:

Re: Unrelated

Post by Agamemnon » 25 Feb 2016, 13:49

nemedeus wrote:I don't want to hijack the forum for my own stuff any further, so instead of making a thread, i'm going to put this here. I've finally found a Fatigue/Endurance/Stamina/whatever mechanic with which i'm satisfied:
  • Fatigue is like a Level X wound - it increases the TN.
  • 1 point of Fatigue is taken when a Stamina/Endurance/etc. check is failed. The Obstacle for that check is 1 and increases by 1 every time you do this check.
  • Do such a check every 3 combat rounds, or after some time of doing a strenous activity etc. You take your encumbrance number* as penalty. Note that the check doesn't increase TN due to fatigue.
  • To reduce the Ob, you need to rest / stop fighting for a few rounds (i'd say, equally, 3 eounds).
*in my system, that's Total Carried Weight Units, divided by Vitality (Strength + Endurance + Size), rounded down -- pretty much the only division in that game i can think of right now. Vitality also serves as the Blood to be lost in battle, naturally. With Base stats being 1 to 5, it should be about the 5 to 10 range.

Weight examples: A sword weighs 1 to 1.5 units, Heavy Armor weighs 8 to 12. This is of course not quite as realistic as i would want to do it, but at least the results make decent sense.
Fatigue as a temporary wound level is actually how we handled it in 'Bastards, though after some testing we ultimately ditched the idea of handling it in combat. We had a tendency to forget to check unless one opponent was intentionally trying to wear the other one out. Even then, most of our fights didn't last long enough for significant fatigue to accumulate.
Sword and Scoundrel: On Role-Playing and Fantasy Obscura

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: "Now it’s complete because it’s ended here."
Collected Sayings of Muad’Dib, the Princess Irulan
User avatar
higgins
Heresiarch
Posts: 1186
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 08:00

Re: Unrelated

Post by higgins » 27 Feb 2016, 12:02

Full-contact tournament live stream from Finland! It's just minutes away: https://www.periscope.tv/w/1MYxNvnddEoxw
"You can never have too many knives."
- Logen Ninefingers, The Blade Itself
User avatar
higgins
Heresiarch
Posts: 1186
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 08:00

Re: Unrelated

Post by higgins » 06 Mar 2016, 16:21

Image
That awkward moment when your cat has better battle gear than you do.

Disclaimer: Not my cat. :D
"You can never have too many knives."
- Logen Ninefingers, The Blade Itself
User avatar
EinBein
Sworn Brother
Posts: 514
Joined: 03 May 2014, 02:50

Re: Unrelated

Post by EinBein » 08 Mar 2016, 05:02

All-fantasy cat-warrior ;) needs to be included in BoB rules...
User avatar
Korbel
Standard Bearer
Posts: 1171
Joined: 13 Apr 2015, 12:09
Location: Poland

Re: Unrelated

Post by Korbel » 08 Mar 2016, 05:19

EinBein wrote:All-fantasy cat-warrior ;) needs to be included in BoB rules...
General Guidelines - Social Class: Noble, Religion: "Religion? I am a god!", Agility 4, Social 5, Intrigue and Manipulation 6, Athletics, Survival (Hunting) and Streetwise 5 dots, Brawling (Claws do STR damage) 8, Story Aspect: "I will catch the Red Dot no matter what!" 3, "No cup shall stay on the table!" 2...
User avatar
Korbel
Standard Bearer
Posts: 1171
Joined: 13 Apr 2015, 12:09
Location: Poland

Re: Unrelated

Post by Korbel » 13 Mar 2016, 06:47

Image

Lecherous (Major), or what?!

(the title says: "When you were supposed to have a sword fight, but...)
User avatar
Marras
Grizzled Veteran
Posts: 856
Joined: 22 Apr 2014, 03:19

Re: Unrelated

Post by Marras » 13 Mar 2016, 15:59

:o :shock: :lol:
User avatar
higgins
Heresiarch
Posts: 1186
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 08:00

Re: Unrelated

Post by higgins » 13 Mar 2016, 18:01

Image
That image was actually in my random fighting tidbits & resources inaugural post, but way cool to see a color version, too! :)
"You can never have too many knives."
- Logen Ninefingers, The Blade Itself
User avatar
Korbel
Standard Bearer
Posts: 1171
Joined: 13 Apr 2015, 12:09
Location: Poland

Re: Unrelated

Post by Korbel » 13 Mar 2016, 18:06

higgins wrote:That image was actually in my random fighting tidbits & resources inaugural post, but way cool to see a color version, too! :)
Oh shit, I must've overlooked or forgot, I'm sorry :D
Post Reply